Teradata 16 New Features
Brief overview of some of the new features added in Teradata 16 version.
➠ Two new string functions were added
page and UNPIVOT
page to check syntax and examples for above functions.
➠ New DATASET datatype:
DATASET datatype is a new Complex Datatype (CDT) representing self-describing files interpreted based on a schema.
- The DATASET datatype allows variable types of storage formats but as of now only Avro is supported for Release 16.00.
- DATASET datatype can hold documents of size up to 16 MB.
- Functions are available to process, shredd, and publish data from DATASET datatype.
➠ COUNT DISTINCT Performance Improvement:
Queries with COUNT DISTINCT are now processed more efficiently by Teradata.
- The primary benefit of this feature is an improvement in the performance of queries that use COUNT DISTINCT.
➠ Global Space Accounting:
The space accounting in Teradata has been enhanced to manage space limits at a global level, rather than AMP-level limit. This enhancement is referred as global space accounting.
- System limits are now soft limits rather than hard limits(equal space allocated to each AMP) in earlier version.
- The soft limit is specified as a percentage and can be set at the system level.
- The soft limit setting applies to all types of space namely permanent, spool, and temporary space.
- Attribute 'Skew limit percentage' can be added to database or user that allows maximum AMP space usage to exceed the per-AMP quota.
➠ Unicode Pass Through:
This is a Unicode error handling enhancement. The feature help users to allow Pass Through Characters (PTCs) to be imported into and exported from Teradata.
- PTCs are the set of all characters which are not supported by Teradata.
The feature can be enabled or disabled at the session level and is valid only for Unicode sessions. It can be enabled/disabled using below command.
➠ 1 MB PERM and Response Rows:
The maximum row size of permanent and response spool rows is increased to 1 MB on large-cylinder systems.
- Allows application to handle larger data sets, including larger SELECT results.
➠ Compression Table-Level Option (Compression TLA):
More choices has been added to define data block compression for tables, join indexes & hash indexes.
- Since these are table level attributes therefore these option take precedence over system level settings.
New choice includes following
Source Teradata Site:
- ALWAYS value for the BLOCKCOMPRESSION option
- BLOCKCOMPRESSIONALGORITHM option
- BLOCKCOMPRESSIONLEVEL option
Check Teradata 16 Release Summary
for more detail.